WaterScape III will:
- Circulate an extensive discussion document with two over-arching policy recommendations and 22 suggested priority actions;
- Solicit comments on the document through our website, social media, and presentations;
- Hold 10 – 15 presentations across the Greater Golden Horseshoe and in The Land Between;
- Use comments to issue a second draft of the document for final comments; and,
- Produce a final document for endorsement by organizations and members of the public.
The timing is important. Ontario’s environmental protections are being reduced and public consultation is being constrained. WaterScape III seeks to facilitate increased understanding of:
- The importance of protecting our lands and water;
- The interdependence of environmental, economic, and social vitality; and,
- The need for sustainable planning, fulsome consultation, cumulative monitoring, adaptive management, and equitable access to legal recourse.
We are particularly concerned that recent changes to and current reviews of the Conservation Authorities Act, as well as the government’s perceived direction on flooding, indicate the dismantling of historic efforts on the conservation of lands, watershed management, and flooding. We are concerned that this will present yet another outcome where key functions will be abandoned rather than improved.
We hope you find our Discussion Document helpful, especially with respect to current provincial efforts on conservation authorities, flooding, and the housing action plan. We look forward to your comments and participation. If you would like a presentation, please contact us at your convenience.